Saturday, April 29, 2017
Best and Worst Drafts So Far!!
Well, it's Day 3 of the NFL Draft where most fans have tuned out on the coverage. That just means that it's time to actually get down to the business of building a roster and ignoring the hype and sizzle of Days 1 and 2. There is still a ton of value out there if you know where to find it. So here's who has helped themselves so far and who hasn't.
Best Drafts So Far
1. Indianapolis Colts - The Colts just sat back and let the talent come to them, nabbing S Malik Hooker of Ohio State in 1st, CB Quincy Wilson of Florida in the 2nd and DE Tarrell Basham of Ohio in the 3rd. Rock solid!
2. New England Patriots - Even without a pick in the 1st or 2nd round, the Pats manage to land 2 small school players that should have gone in the 2nd round with DE Derek Rivers of Youngstown and OT Antonio Garcia of Troy. Add to that the acquisition of WR Brandin Cooks and DE Kony Ealy with those other picks and it's an A+
3. Green Bay Packers - The Packers trade out of the 1st round, land two instant starters in the secondary in CB Kevin King of Washington and S Josh Jones of NC State and get a pass rushing DT in Montravius Adams of Auburn. If they can land a RB today, they have had a good weekend.
4. Washington Redskins - Taking run stuffers from Alabama is usually a good strategy and Washington drafted 2 of them in DT Jonathan Allen and OLB Ryan Anderson. Then in the 3rd they get a mid 2nd round talent (though injured) in CB Fab Moreau of UCLA. That defense is looking very salty next year.
5. Baltimore Ravens - Though maybe this whole draft hinges on the character of OLB Tim Williams, the Ravens did very good otherwise with CB Marlon Humphrey of Alabama in the 1st, OLB Tyus Bowser of Houston in the 2nd and DT Chris Wormley of Michigan in 3rd. Another solid draft from GM Ozzie Newsome.
Worst Drafts So Far
1. Los Angeles Rams - With few draft choices to work with anyway, the Rams have easily had the worst 2 days so far. They draft the pass catching TE Gerald Everett from South Alabama after spending 2 picks on pass catching TEs last year. Then they get a small school WR Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington and reached for a safety from Boston College John Johnson. D grade so far.
2. Chicago Bears - It's hard to recover from the Trubisky trade up, but it doesn't help when you get a tiny school TE from Ashland Adam Shaheen in the 2nd as your only other pick. Hmm
3. Seattle Seahawks - The Hawks traded back twice in round 1, finally selecting the mercurial DT from Michigan State Malik McDowell. Then took a good player in C Ethan Pocic of LSU. But then the reaching began, taking CB Shaq Griffin of UCF a round early, S Delano Hill of Michigan 2 rounds early, DT Nasir Jones of UNC 2 rounds early and WR Amara Darboh of Michigan a round early. Not a killer but just sloppy drafting.
4. Detroit Lions - The Lions reached in every round, taking LB Jarrad Davis of Florida in 1st, CB Teez Tabor of Florida in 2nd and WR Kenny Golladay of Northern Illinois in 3rd. C+ grade so far.
5. Tennessee Titans - 2 reaches in round 1, WR Corey Davis of Western Michigan and CB Adoree Jackson of USC, and 2 reaches in Round 3 with WR Taywan Taylor of Western Kentucky and TE Jonnu Smith of Florida International.